remembering Bob Parlocha

BobParlochaJazz DJ Bob Parlocha died Sunday from a heart attack at age 75. Fans of jazz on the radio everywhere are grieving.

I first got to know Bob when I moved to the Bay Area in 1985. KJAZ was one of the first stations that I became acquainted with, and I immediately fell in love with Bob’s Dinner Jazz each evening Monday through Friday.

KJAZ went off the air in 1994 because the station’s financial situation was no longer viable. Shortly thereafter Bob became the first and only announcer on the Satellite Jazz Network out of WFMT in Chicago. The service provided pre-recorded jazz programming to public radio stations around the country. Many small public radio stations would use the service for their overnight programming. Bob did the show from a studio in his home in Alameda. He was a gourmet cook and his home had a professional-class kitchen as well. Thanks to radio stations offering streaming Internet feeds I was able to continue to listen to him. It wasn’t the same as his live, spontaneous program on KJAZ, but it was Bob Parlocha.

Bob made his email address available on air and on his Web site. I emailed him a few times and he was always most gracious in his response.

Yesterday evening Jayne Sanchez did a marvelous, heartfelt tribute to Bob during the evening Jazz Oasis program on KCSM.

Rest in peace and rise in glory, Bob. You gave us more pleasure than we could ever reasonably hope to expect.

6 Comments on “remembering Bob Parlocha”

1. ODUS HAYES says:

BOB AND I, ODUS HAYES, LIVED ON THE SAME STREET IN VALLEJO, WENT TO THE SAME SCHOOL. STAYED FRIENDS OUR WHOLE LIFE, WE BOTH WORKED AT NAPA STATE HOSPITAL AT THE SAME TIME. BEN SWYERS IS THE ONE WHO MADE HIM GO TO KJAZ AND TALK TO PAT HENRY ABOUT GOING TO WORK. I WILL MISS BOB A LOT. ODUS HAYES

2. Judi Stansbury Klinefelter says:

I too miss Bob Parlocha and his awesome voice. His lineup of music was truly inspired. I met Bob at Vallejo High School, where he played an awesome sax, even in high school. I sang in a combo with Bob on sax and 3 or 4 others playing. My 75 year old brain cannot recall all the others in the group, unfortunately. We had some great times playing on our high school radio program, at dances and parties. Was able to reconnect with Bob with the advent of Classmates.com and exchanged messages back and forth over the years. Had the opportunity of meeting up with him at a reunion for our school band director’s 90 birthday a few years ago. We had a great time reminiscing. Bob was always gracious and fun. May you rest in peace, Bob and keep that heavenly band on it’s toes.

• ODUS HAYES says:

HELLO, BOB AND I LIVED ON THE SAME STREET IN VALLEJO, WE WENT TO GRAMMER SCHOOL, HIGH SCHOOL AND WORKED TOGETHER AT NAPA STATE HOSPITAL. WE STAYED FRIENDS OUR WHOLE LIFE. THANKS. ODUS HAYES

• ohayesurvey@aol.com says:

HELLO, I GREW UP IN VALLEJO, AND WAS FRIENDS OF BOB FOR ALL OF OUR YEARS. I MISS HIM. ODUS HAYES. CLASS OF 1954 VALLEJO HIGH SCHOOL. SEND ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER. THANKS. ODUS

3. Glenn says:

I enjoy KCSM streaming Bob Parlocha sets. I hope they continue honor Bob.

Glenn in Chicago

• odus hayes says:

HELLO, I GREW UP WITH BOB IN VALLEJO, CA. WE WORKED AT NAPA STATE HOSPITAL TOGETHER. WE BOTH LUCKY TO GET OUT OF THERE. A REALLY BAD JOB. WE STAYED FRIENDS UNTIL HE DIED. WE BOTH DATED CAROL DODA, SHE WAS A BAD SCREW. HAD NOT TITS.