a bad-good experience

A few weeks back I received an email from my internet provider telling me that my speed had increased from 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps at no additional charge. I was initially delighted but then I calmed down and did a speed test. Indeed my upload speed was well over 100 Mbps, but my download speed was stuck at 57 Mbps. I was a bit miffed since download speed is far more important to me than upload, but I didn’t follow up as I was busy. Recently I had some time so I opened up an online chat session. The agent told me to power down my router and she would refresh the ports on her side. I did so, and when I brought the system back up I had no internet access at all.

internet speed chartI gave it some time and when nothing changed I made a phone call. I got through to an agent quickly but his systems were not working and he kept me waiting while trying to resolve that. As I kept waiting he rebooted his computer. Finally, he told me to unplug my router while he made the necessary changes. I did so and powered up the router when he told me to do that. Everything worked.

After I hung up I did a speed test. Upload was slightly slower, but still well over 100 Mbps. Download, my primary concern, was right at 100 Mbps. I’m happy.

I suppose that this was one of those “all’s well that ends well” moments.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s