a successful bread experiment

Some time back I wrote that sometimes it is better to follow a proven bread recipe than to go your own way (I love Fleetwood Mac). On the other hand, sometimes experiments with bread baking can be successful.

I had more sourdough starter than is optimal for maintaining a healthy batch, so I did something I rarely do. I made sourdough bread twice in a row. Wanting to do something different, I tried a sprouted wheat sourdough.

breadI used the following ingredients:

  • 2 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup First Clear flour
  • 1 cup sprouted wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 ¼ teaspoons yeast (my standard yeast measure)
  • 1 cup sourdough starter
  • Something over a cup of warm water (adding until the dough was the right consistency)

I did two risings and baked at 350 degrees convection for 45 minutes as I always do.

It turned out great. Terry loved it and I was quite happy with the result.

I was going to link to the sprouted wheat and First Clear flours on the King Arthur web site, but they both appear to have been discontinued. So I won’t be able to repeat this recipe once my existing supplies run out.

Oh, well. Experiments do sometimes pay off, and that was a good one.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s